jueves, 17 de enero de 2008

SNOW!!!

Isn't that cute of Calabaza looking through the window at me in all the snow, wondering what in the world I'm doing out there and why don't I come back inside where it's nice and warm and dry? What a crazy day. So it started off crazy when I woke up to the sound of over 80 school division closings being named on the radio station and Albemarle County and Charlottesville City were the ONLY two in the "winter storm warning" area that were NOT closing school. So that made me pretty mad that we were going to school.


Then when we got to school it started snowing immediately and within 30 minutes they had already made the decision to close and get kids back home. So then all the buses couldn't get back to school because the roads were so bad and only half of the buses actually could make it. The other half were stuck in traffic accidents or had had accidents themselves. So for an hour we had a handful of kids left in our classrooms that ride the missing buses. We were fielding phone call after phone call from angry parents wanting to know why we sent the kids to school today, as if it was OUR decision to send them. I was like, "Trust me, my friend, I don't want to be here right now any more than you do." Meanwhile the kids were asking endless questions like, "Why aren't they calling the buses? Why aren't the buses here? How are we going to get home? What if my mom has to come and she has an accident? Why can't we just go home?"


I had FINALLY gotten the kids to calm down and we were playing with Legos on the floor of the room. Everything was fine. The phone calls had stopped. The questions had stopped. We were just playing with Legos and waiting...when we have the next brilliant idea... An announcement came over the intercom that said, "3 buses are still missing. Please bring all of your students who ride those 3 buses up to the front hall and wait with them there." I have only one thing to say: WHY????? We were fine in the room, playing with Legos. So now we had 100 kids crowded into the front hall where they wouldn't stay in one spot. Try getting 100 puppies to stay in one spot and you'll get the idea. And then...

The fire alarm goes off. One of the kids pulled it. I finally just burst out laughing which made everyone else start laughing. It took about 7 minutes of annoying, excruciating fire alarm noise to get the alarm turned off. Then the fire trucks arrived with firemen who jumped out of the trucks with axes and ran towards the building. Meanwhile with the kids, we were like, "It's fine, guys, everything's fine."


Finally the last bus came and all the kids were out, an hour after they were supposed to be. I made it home safely and introduced Calabaza to the glorious white stuff known as snow. He was less than interested.


And the end of the story is that apparently Albemarle County got a flood of complaints from furious parents about sending the kids to school today because as of 6:00 PM tonight, they were one of the first school divisions that announced they'll be closed tomorrow. Hahahahahahaha! Why I find such humor in that, I don't know, but hahahahahahahahaha!

1 comentario:

Mr and Mrs Lorentzon dijo...

hahahahahahaha!

That IS really funny!

I bet my used-to-be principal dad is glad he didn't have to deal with THAT!

He was in India on a missions trip at the time, enjoying 80 degree weather!