miércoles, 29 de agosto de 2007

Awesome Geography!

Today at school we did the coolest activity ever for learning the continents of the world! I noticed that my kids (all but 2) did not know the continents at all and were having a hard time remembering how to locate them on a world map. So last night I printed 30 pictures of things that exist pretty much only in each specific continent. The pictures were photo paper that is also a post-it note. It's called Post-It picture paper. You can get it at Staples or any office supply store. So anyway today we talked about each picture and where you would find it in the world. Then the kids would stick the picture right on to the map until the map was covered with pictures. It's cool because you now can't see the lines on the continents, instead you just see pictures where the continent is, so the kids have something meaningful to attach the word "Africa" or "South America" to. Now when they hear "Australia" they think of "kangaroo, platypus, koala".

The coolest thing was when later there were 2 kids that weren't finished completing a world map at their desks. They were kids that still didn't know the continents very well. So my student teacher sat with them out in the hall to help them. She asked one, "Okay do you know where Europe is?" And he said, "Europe...OH!! That's where all the castles are! Europe's right here!" And then the other one had to find Australia and he said, "Oh yeah! That's where that little furry guy swims with the flat nose... I can't remember what he's called! It's right here!" When she told me about that, I was like, "YES!" It totally worked!

And then something funny happened tonight at my Spanish class I'm taking at PVCC. We had to find somebody in the room and ask them how many continents are in the world in Spanish. So the guy I asked said, "um...5? no wait - 6! ...no...8? wait...is England a continent? What about Europe?" I started laughing uncontrollably and said, "SERIOUSLY??? You really don't know how many continents there are????" He thought it was quite funny too.

Oh yeah and one more thing. My kids are convinced there are coyotes outside at recess. Every day they stand at the edge of the field, peering through the fence, desperate to catch a glimpse of the coyotes they "hear" running in the woods. They're so weird.

6 comentarios:

Hennyfair dijo...

I am rejoicing with you over an ingenious, engaging, and successful lesson! There are few things greater than such to a teacher!

Mr and Mrs Lorentzon dijo...

HOW COOL!

In Sweden it is "common knowledge" that there are EIGHT continents because somehow they count them differently.

So they all think I am a nutcase when I claim otherwise.

WEIRD.

Hennyfair dijo...

So what is the 8th?

Beth dijo...

Yeah what is the 8th???? How can you count 7 as 8?

Mr and Mrs Lorentzon dijo...

I sm living in Europe, in a castle.

Mr and Mrs Lorentzon dijo...

I think Katie had it wrong, it's six not eight.

I don't now if it's diffrent oppeniens about this, but i learned in school there are six. Some migt think that Arktis and Antarktisk, North and south pool also counts. I don't now.

Nordamerika
Sydamerika
Europa
Asien
oceanien
Afrika

I have also heard that some contrys in south amerika don't have the feeling that they belong to South America as we in Sweden have a strong conection to the europen contris. Like in Brasil for an exempele, the don't see them selfs as South americans, only brasilens.