miércoles, 7 de noviembre de 2007

3rd grade to college in one day

Hahahaha so tonight we had a fun time in my spanish class. It all started after soccer practice, when I went to take one of the kids home like I always do. Except when we got to his house, nobody was home. So we went to his uncle's house. Nobody. Grandparents and other aunts and uncles' house. Nobody. I said, "Dude, are you sure there's not some party tonight that you forgot about? How could your parents, brother, sister, 2 grandparents, 4 uncles, and 2 aunts ALL be missing?" He just shrugged and said, "I don't know where they are." And of course the ONLY phone number we had for his entire extended family was not being answered. So I had my spanish class and I told him, "Well, buddy, I guess you're going to have to come with me to spanish class. Here's the good news: you know spanish!"

When we got there, he said, "Wow, I can't believe I went from 3rd grade to college in one day!" He helped me complete my work too by answering my questions when I had was like, "Pssst, hey Brian, what's the past tense of 'ofrece'?" And he laughed at all my teacher's jokes. He thought my teacher was hilarious. About halfway through the class he started raising his hand to answer questions and by the end he had his hand up for every one. I couldn't believe an 8-year-old kid, surrounded by college students in a college class, felt brave enough to raise his hand to answer questions! Of course, duh, he knows spanish, but still.

After class, on the way home, I asked him if he thought 3rd grade was any different from college. He said, "Nah, it's pretty much the same." I was like yep, no matter what grade you're in, it's worksheets, raise your hand, answer questions, take tests, teacher tells you you're wrong, and you do more worksheets.

Who knew you could go straight to college from 3rd grade.

No hay comentarios.: