domingo, 6 de mayo de 2007

4 to 0, Juan Serving Love


Okay so that was the most confusing thing I've ever watched in my life! I went to watch one of Juan's tennis matches this weekend. I've played around with tennis balls and tennis rackets on a tennis court before, but I've never actually played tennis. I spent the entire game being confused about the score and who was ahead in the match. It's pretty cool to watch Juan play though, because he has a very calm style. He doesn't get frustrated easily (or at least he doesn't SHOW it) and can therefore keep playing smoothly through the entire match.
From watching so many kids play sports, I've noticed how many kids get mad so easily. They hold themselves to a "near-perfect" standard (which is not inherently a bad thing), but then become so angry when they can't live up to it. Their playing then disintegrates over the remainder of the game. I wish there was a way for kids to hold themselves to such a high standard but then also have patience with themselves when they inevitably fail. Is that something you can teach? Do you have to just model it?

2 comentarios:

Mr and Mrs Lorentzon dijo...

I know some kiddos who are just SO competitive...like they have to win EVERY SINGLE race or competition or activity that I think of for Sunday School...

I think that's a bummer. So I have decided to reduce those kinds of activities (I can't just stop doing them completely because the kids love them so much).

Yeah, I really don't know where the healthy balance is. Because in some sense, i DO want them to want to do well and to "stick out" (as opposed to being like every other Swede and never strive for anything).

Beth dijo...

I know! The kids that are insanely competitive, I'm always thinking "Man, I wish they realized it was just about having fun and learning the game." But then the kids that are just out to have fun and don't seem to be trying all that hard, I'm like, "Dude, why can't these kids be serious and realize that we're trying to beat this other team?" How do you teach kids to do both? That trying hard and striving to be the best is okay, as long as it's not bringing down the people around you and causing you to throw your bat down in anger.