lunes, 18 de febrero de 2008

Liquid Nitrogen ROCKS!

Today one of the parents of a child in my class came in to show the kids what happens when you freeze stuff with liquid nitrogen! It was totally awesome and I think the kids are definitely picking up the message that SCIENCE IS COOL!!! Liquid nitrogen is -320 degrees Fahrenheit and we froze flowers and then watched them shatter like glass! We also froze bouncy balls, balloons filled with air, hot dogs, pipes, and tennis balls! The only one that didn't shatter was the balloon. It just condensed into a deflated balloon. Then as it warmed up, it expanded again to return to its original shape! The tennis ball was really cool because the rubber inside of it completely broke into tiny pieces when he hit it with a hammer! I took some video of it too, so when I have time to edit it, I'll post it so you can see! Here are some pictures of the flower shattering, the balloon condensing, and the tennis ball after it was hit with a hammer!



3 comentarios:

. dijo...

Cool except for the hamburger thing....because then you have shattered bits of raw frozen hamburger scattered throughout....and to me, thats just gross.

but thats just me.


:) Cool that you are doing these things for your kiddos though!

. dijo...

Yeah, that comment was from me. Google apparently likes me as much as the state of Georgia and commonwealth of Virginia.

. dijo...

DUDE. Well, its your sister...since google REALLY wont let me sign in.