miércoles, 14 de marzo de 2007

Who's driving out the demons?

Tonight at Baja Bean, Portico had Theology on Tap - a discussion of theology held in local restaurants for anyone who wants to come and listen, discuss, hang out, etc. The conversation was based around the belief that only some people will be saved, chosen by God. This led to statements in the bible that say that some will call out, "Lord, Lord," but they will not be saved. In Matthew 7:22-23, it says, "Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'"

So then somebody asked, "If God doesn't accept those people, since clearly he's not saving them, who gave them the power to drive out demons? God or Satan?"

I am not professing to know the answer to this. But I do know these things:

1. In Matthew 12:25-28, Jesus had been accused of driving out demons by the power of "Beelzebub, the prince of demons." Jesus answers them by saying, "Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand. If Satan drives out Satan, he is divided against himself...."

2. That seems to indicate that the people in Matthew 7:22 were not given power by Satan, so we can rule that one out.

3. If the only two sources of power are God and Satan, AND the people were TRULY USING POWER TO DO THIS, the only other obvious choice leaves us with God giving them power. Why he would not accept them yet give them power to do this, I have no idea. Maybe God gave them the power to do it, but they misused it, used it for their own glory, etc....

4. There are two very big assumptions in statement 3: that God and Satan are the only sources of power. I'm not disputing that they are... I'm just saying that we would have to be in agreement that they are the only two. Are there any other sources of power besides God and Satan that the people could be misinterpreting as God's power?

5. The other big assumption in statement 3 is that the people were truly using power to cast out demons and prophesy. WHAT IF THEY WEREN'T? People can claim anything they want. I can joke about prophesying the future all I want, but that doesn't mean that God has truly given me the power to do it. I could lay my hands on someone and attempt to cast out a demon or heal somebody or do some other crazy sick miracle. My attempt may even appear to be somewhat successful as people can sort of find truth in fiction if they look hard enough. Again, I'm not saying that that's really what was happening here...I have no idea.

So my questions to you are:

- If the power was from God, why would he give them the power yet not accept them?

- Is there another source of power besides God and Satan?

- Is it possible that the people were CLAIMING or MAKING A CASE FOR THEMSELVES about something that didn't truly happen by the power of anything?

1 comentario:

Centrumkyrkan dijo...

There is an intressting thing in the one of the Swedish translations of that text. They ask Jesus: Lord, Lord, haven't we profesaid with help of your name...

Not in you name, but with help. It's your relationship that takes you to haven, not your dids for Jesus.

So, maybe God can use people to help others, even then they don't no Christ in there hearts.

Ok, this was some thoughts from Sweden. I think Jesus whant our focus on the relationship and in that frindship we get al forces of heaven at our side. Demons, darknes and other stuff most crawl!

--Niklas