sábado, 29 de septiembre de 2007

Overnight at Triple C

Every year the 5th graders from my school go to Triple C Camp at the end of September and for an overnight field trip! I've never gone before, since I don't exactly teach 5th grade, but this year I decided to help chaperone and hang out with the kids. I mostly wanted to do it because it would be fun, but also because there's a little guy in 5th grade named Alejandro who just moved here and he doesn't speak any English. So I wanted to hang out with him, practice my Spanish, and give him somebody to talk to in the only language he knows.

So I left right after school to go over to the camp. I didn't spend the night but I stayed until about 11:30 to help get the kids to sleep. I'm totally going to do it again next year because there was a kickball game, a dance party, a night hike with flashlights, a bonfire for making s'mores, and a telescope! And that was just the night events! There are so many things I missed in the day! Next year I want to try to take off of school and go for the whole day to help the kids on the cat walk and eagle walk ropes courses, the climbing wall, the zip line, and all the team building activities!

The best part was definitely hanging out with Alejandro and talking to him in Spanish. I couldn't understand everything he was saying, but I was getting better by the end of 5 hours! It was awesome!







No hay comentarios.: