viernes, 6 de junio de 2008

Wells in Africa

WOOOO HOOOOO!!! School's out!!! I'm freeeeeeeeee! I am just so excited. I slept for 11 hours Wednesday night and 9 hours last night.

On the last day of school we collected all the coins from the classes who were saving coins to help build a well in Africa this summer. There was a big red gas container in the front hall that classes could come dump their coins into. The reason we used a gas container is because that's what they use in Africa to get their water. Big, dirty gas containers. Then, after we had collected everybody's coins, my incredibly accurate 8-year-olds counted ALL the coins!

Guess how much our school collected in only TEN DAYS!!

OVER $310.00!!!

The really cool thing was that we had some kids who brought everything they had to donate. Their classes weren't even participating but they heard about it and wanted to help anyway. One of the kids was a kid I know whose family doesn't have much extra money. He brought a little container filled with coins and said that his class wasn't doing "the Africa well thing" but he wanted to help. He said, "This is all the coins I have." And dumped it into the container.

I love these children.

No hay comentarios.: