miércoles, 28 de febrero de 2007

How powerless are you when God is on your side?

Powerlessness is one of the worst feelings in the world. When things are happening and you feel completely helpless to stop them or change the course of events, it leaves you frustrated, angry, exhausted, and resentful. The question "why" arises much more frequently than it should -

"WHY won't Granny tell the people that matter that she doesn't want to move to Texas?"
"WHY doesn't any of her sisters seem concerned at all?"
"WHY isn't there anyone to turn to for her protection?"
"WHY doesn't Adult Protective Services accept a PRO-active approach to protecting someone instead of waiting until AFTER the exploitation has already happened?"
"WHY would a realtor tell my uncle that Granny's farm is worth almost TWICE what it's really worth, just so he can try to get more money out of my mom?"
"WHY don't the doctors care?"


Feeling powerless in a situation threatens to reduce our trust and faith in the One who actually has the power. By focusing on the "I don't understand....'s" and "Why?'s", we place God on the periphery instead of in the center. Jeremiah said,


"Why are you like a man taken by surprise, like a warrior powerless to save? You are among us, O LORD, and we bear your name; do not forsake us!" (Jer 14:9)


Why should we, of all people, be the ones to feel helpless? King Asa, in the Old Testament, was faithful to God and was once facing an army of tremendous size. Here's what he says when faced with the feeling of helplessness:


"Then Asa called to the LORD his God and said, 'LORD, there is no one like you to help the powerless against the mighty. Help us, O LORD our God, for we rely on you, and in your name we have come against this vast army. O LORD, you are our God; do not let man prevail against you.'" (2 Chron 14:11)


When I talked to Granny earlier today she told me she didn't want to live in Texas; she wants to stay home and she doesn't feel like she has a choice. "This has been my home for years. These are my animals. I want to be home." I told her I knew that and I worried because she's leaving on Saturday and will most likely not return. Her response to my declaration of worry?


"Beth, please pray for me."


She knows the Only One who can do anything about it. Pray. Just pray.

2 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

Isaiah 42:1-4:
1 "Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen one in whom I delight; I will put my Spirit on him and he will bring justice to the nations.
2 He will not shout or cry out, or raise his voice in the streets.
3 A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out. In faithfulness he will bring forth justice;
4 he will not falter or be discouraged till he establishes justice on earth. In his law the islands will put their hope."


I'm praying with you.

-Sarah

Mr and Mrs Lorentzon dijo...

Wow. That is profound!