miércoles, 31 de enero de 2007

Brilliant New Strategy for Getting Kids to Stop Yelling


Today I discovered a brilliant new strategy for getting kids to stop yelling at eachother. At recess two of my kids were throwing mulch, so they had to sit down for the rest of recess (about 5 minutes left). Well they started screaming at eachother about whose fault it was and after listening to it for several rounds back and forth, I calmly said, "Hey guys? Why don't you yell louder, because I don't think you can hear eachother from 3 feet away?" They looked at me with heads turned sideways (like in this picture of my dog, Cody) and then began whispering to eachother, "you threw mulch first" "no I didn't, you did" "I didn't even touch it" "yes you did!"
Again after a minute or so, I said, "Guys, really, I'm serious. We're going to have to go inside in 3 minutes. So if you're going to yell, you need to do it now because you definitely can't do it inside the school. You have 3 minutes left. Go ahead and yell now." And again, they looked at me with sideways heads, very confused. Then they didn't say anything at all for the next 3 minutes!
Who knew? Clearly the way to get kids to be quiet is tell them to yell. Go figure.

3 comentarios:

Hennyfair dijo...

Well, my teacher fried, that is a fabulous strategy. However, I am not sure it's one I will be trying any time too soon! You might want to put a warning on that one! LOL OH! By the way, I introduced the "blue rule" to my class of most extravagant tangenters! While it hasn't helped them to think before they speak so much, it sure has inspired the other students to use it to its fullest! They "BLUE RULE!" one or two students almost daily! (Thankfully, they use it at appropriate times.)

Mr and Mrs Lorentzon dijo...

Jenny, your teacher got fried?!?!?!

Just kidding. I love it when typos like that come along.

Shoot, I can't remember the blue rule, but I do remember you two talking about it!

Hennyfair dijo...

LOL....oops. Yeah, sometimes my proofreading is nonexistent.