sábado, 28 de abril de 2007

The Kid Who Only Hit Homers

My favorite author when I was a kid was a guy named Matt Christopher. He wrote chapter books about kids playing sports. My favorite book (and one I read maybe a billion times) was a book called The Kid Who Only Hit Homers. When I was watching Little League games today, I saw a friend who reminded me of that book! Derek is a kid I've known since he was 4 years old. He's now 13 and an AMAZING ball player. He lives for baseball! Not only is he incredibly talented at playing the game, but he also has the attitude of a leader. He's a role model that other kids look up to. He is always smiling and laughing, even when he's having a bad game. He constantly supports his teammates by cheering them on and talking to them. He also regularly talks to kids on the other team and praises them if they hit well, caught well, pitched well, etc. He's a great kid to watch.

So he told me yesterday that he hit a homerun at his game last week. Then at his game today, his first time at bat, he had a HUGE hit, one that hit the top pole of the green fence 305 feet away in center field. And this fence is not a low fence. Picture the big green wall at Fenway Park. Picture the fence behind homeplate. It's like that, just out in the outfield. His second time up, he hit a ball over the fence and 100 feet into the cow pasture behind the field...but it was foul. His last time up, he finally did it! A soaring homerun straight over the center field fence! I think that boy can only hit homers!

1 comentario:

Mr and Mrs Lorentzon dijo...

that's a great celebration photo!!!