viernes, 27 de abril de 2007

sad, sad day

What a sad, sad day. So everything was going fine until the ice cream party for Brian. We ate delicious Edy's ice cream (Breyer's wasn't on sale). The kids were all excited and laughing. We invited Brian's best friend, Miguel, over to eat ice cream with us. Miguel is in another 2nd grade class and he has Asperger's. His only friend is Brian and they just adore eachother. Yesterday during math, Miguel said, "I'm so happy! Brian was lying and he's not really moving! I'm so excited because that means I still have my best friend!" Brian just sadly looked down at the floor. So today when we invited Miguel over, I think he finally started to get it that Brian's really moving. We put on the DVD now known as The Brian Movie. Brian was shocked that we had made it (he didn't know about it, and the rest of the class had been sworn to secrecy). He just stared at it, alternating between laughing and being on the verge of tears. Miguel had his arm around Brian the whole time. At the end, Brian said, "That was the most awesome thing I've ever seen!" Then the kids gave him cards they had made. That's when they started losing it. Tears just started pouring out.

When we came back inside from recess, Brian wrote thank you notes for everyone in the class, completely on his own. (This is why everyone loves him. He's everybody's best friend and every day is his favorite day. He just does things like this and always puts others before himself.) Then at the end of the day, he said, "Wait, wait, wait, everybody. I have an announcement to make." He got their attention and said quietly, "Goodbye guys. I'll miss you. And thank you for the cards."

After his bus was called, there were only a few kids left. One of them was his other best friend, Collin. Collin looked sad and he shook his head and said, "Well that's the last time I will see Brian until I sleep." I thought he was confused and said, "Until you sleep?"

Collin said, "Yes...because then I can dream about him."

No hay comentarios.: